Friday, July 30, 2021

A leaf sculpture - creating beautiful negative spaces


I was given a piece of 1.5mm-2mm thick stainless steel plate - about 60cm wide and 1.1m high. More recently I have decided that if something can't be used within a reasonable time it should be moved on - strategy to stop cluttering the workshop.

I decided to make a trio of leaf forms. I knew that in the cutting process I would also create some negative space leaf spaces.

The photo below show the metal marked up and me using an electric side grinder to cut the metal. But not long into the work the grinder went up in smoke. So I finished the work using my battery operated side grinder. The draw back with that is the batteries don't last a long time with heavy work.



As you can see I used a few disks - including one that disintegrated.

But the first stage is completed - metal cut. The process of grinding rough edges and polishing is yet to be completed- as is bending the leaf forms to get a bit of 3D look going. The biggest leaf form is just over 90cm long.




I might get them finished on Sunday!!! These small sculptures were just a joy to make without any commitments in mine.

3 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that you pulled those sinuous forms from such a thick plate of steel ... and bravo for your determination to "use it or else"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Barry, cutting 2mm stainless steel, that was very hard work for both you and your tools, love the negative space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MC and LA - thank you faithful fellow artists for your visit and comments. you are right it was quite hard work but I think my more recent blog shows it has been worth it. I have taken the time to turn the pieces with negative spaces into better finished sculptural forms in their own right. LA - I'm trying to practice use it or move it on - trying hard not to build up a pile of unused stuff - we will see. Go well. B

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.