Friday, January 6, 2023

Hewn from rock

 


I did a test run to see if I could cut and carve a rustic looking cottage out of very hard rock; and yet leave it so that it looked like it was a struggle to create it or get it to emerge.

As part of my work on the injustice of the Scottish clearances and the fishing industry I want to make an installation of several cottages cut from stones from beaches adjacent to abandoned post-clearance villages along the north coast of Sutherland. I want the installation to reflect the hard work that the clear farmers would have had to do to create homes on the rocky shores of the north coast. They had to pay for these new homes!!!!

I feel the opening photo suggests both the rugged rock and the sense the cottage is emerging from the rock. Some additional photos below show parts of the process.




Tools - diamond saw, hammer and tungsten chisel. I think I'm on to something with this. It is always important to mask up properly and wear safety glasses and ear protection when doing this work - and in a ventilated area - aka - outside.

3 comments:

  1. Each iteration of your Scottish cottages is more fascinating than the one before ... surely you will have a village-worth in the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just realized the previous comment went off as "anonymous" ... Liz

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.