Sunday, January 1, 2023

The art life 2022

 



A year seems a very long time in one's art life; and it can be difficult to remember what one might have achieved. As Fiona and I walked this morning I said I didn't think I would have many art achievements for the year. Fiona rattled off a number of things achieved; and scrolling through the year's photos demonstrated that it was a full year. I kicked the year off by completing my It (Patriarchy) Won't Dismantle Itself artist book in early January - see above.

I got into a post sculpture commission in January and finished installing it in early February.

My Daily Words limited edition  (25) letterpress poetry book was an ongoing project that got finished in the first half of the year.


This year we managed to visit the cottage in Scotland twice - so art in Scotland features including:

The Cove Post made from timber and objects from the Armadale fishing cove - reflecting the fishing history of the village. The locals do wonder about it!!

The Swordly Mill Post was a way to thank our friends K&B for caring for the cottage when covid prevented travel. The post reflects K's love of sea glass, the beach and ocean. The post is about 2m high. I love how it has settled into its surroundings

For the first time we took some of our smaller art pieces to Scotland and participated in a number of art-craft markets.Fiona checking out the display at the Armadale village hall market.

Before we headed to Scotland in August we delivered our works for the Vessel exhibition - my works reflected the injustice of the clearances and forced fishing life in northern Scotland. I think these are strong and content rich pieces.



When in Scotland I'm drawn to stone so I started to cut and create with stone from the local cove. Simple form in a very very hard stone.

One cannot always do outdoor art in Scotland so I tried my hand at watercolours when I was over there.

I did complete and install another commissioned post in Scotland during the second trip - this one reflected family and farming history.

We finally got the five posts and the reflection bench seat installed into the MNC grief garden

The year was rounded off by completing a large patinated commissioned copper bowl on a post.

So my 2022 art life did have quite a bit of variety and there were quite a few achievements.

I loved the accidental rainbow (below) that resulted in one of my metal meetings to create boat hull forms.



2 comments:

  1. a wonderful reflection on the year just past ... I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite as your works are many and so varied ... wishing you continued creative joy in the year to come

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet Anvilartifacts.comJanuary 4, 2023 at 1:01 AM

    An impressive body of work, Barry! Both in variety and meaning. How lovely to look back and be reminded of each piece. Hoping that 2023 will be a year of delight for both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.