Sunday, December 3, 2023

Found and Formed

 

Periodically I am asked if I am a jeweller and/or a silversmith. I reply that I am neither - I am a metal worker and a maker-remaker. The jewellery I make tends to be a byproduct of my metal work and my commitment to using discarded, salvaged and recycled materials. From early in my making the term I coined for my jewellery was Found and Formed Jewellery - pieces that I make from salvaged-recycled stuff.

The opening photo and the photo below are a good examples of found jewellery - earrings made from repurposing solid silver vintage bracelets - giving them a new form.


My new range of jewellery is a good example of taking gifted materials and giving them a new life.  Taking gifted pearl shells, gold plated metal and a broken slate from our cottage and creating new forms and combinations. 

The rectangular earring below combine pearl shell and some solid gold jump rings that were gifted to me about ten years ago - things have their time.

As you can see from the photo below there was a lot of cutting and drilling over the weekend. I rather like the large (45mm in diameter) solid circles of pearl shell - they remind me of a pale moon.


The small (9-10mm in diameter) circles of pearl shell will become stud earrings. 

During the week I need to get my act together to finish the pieces for the launch and sale on Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.