Friday, December 22, 2023

Melting metal play

 

I had a bit of a creative play afternoon with metal. I se out to see if the furnace would melt some brass I had previous melted; and if I could pour some cone and pyramid forms. I did manage to pour some forms but not with the brass. 

As you can see from the photos below, though the furnace was heated to 1000 degrees celsius the metal was just not slumping. I even threw in a a few reject copper hearts as you can see from one of the image. Though the experiment did produce a few gorgeous images. The last image is of molten pewter at a high temperature.



I reverted to pewter and poured the metal into green sand moulds - seen below.


Even though the brass did not work I am happy with the forms I produced. The pyramid has a 3cm square base; and the tallest cone is 5cm high.


I will pour more of these forms as I think they make intriguing-quirky micro sculptures - just ideal for beside one's computer or on one's desk.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating process, with great looking results ... and I just took a lovely jaunt to learn more about green sand casting ... Liz A

    ReplyDelete
  2. brass is a weird metal, tried forging it years ago and it just exploded!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.