Sunday, September 12, 2021

Cutting pages for future pieces and melting ornate edges

 

I spent quite a long time measuring metal for the pages of small metal books; book pendants and book earrings. I have run out of my tiny book earrings (18mmX12mm); have a few small metal books 45mmX30mm) with inspirational words; and have run out of book pendants (30mmX25mm). I tend to cut the pages for these from good quality silver-plate. 

Whilst measuring and cutting I wanted to test how the ornate edges of a silver-plated tray I had cut up earlier would melt - the metal tends to be an alloy of tin, zinc and copper. 


The results are shown in the opening photo. The metal has a melted buttery look about it. It is good to know that it can be used for pouring metal forms.

The photo below shows the stash of 120 'pages' ready for stamping for books (10 books), pendants (5 pendants) and earrings (10-12 pairs).

Marking up for cutting and other process photos follow.




There is a lot of work to be done on these before they are ready for sale.

1 comment:

  1. you make it look easy, but I'm thinking as hard as it is to cut a straight line on paper or fabric, it must be magnitudes harder to do so on metal!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.