Sunday, October 31, 2021

Pause and remember bench seat


Over the last couple of days I have completed the cutting, sanding and oiling timber for a bench seat that might go into a grief garden - if the garden gets approval from the local authorities. The photo above is Fiona testing the bench for height in her sartorial yard splendour.

Yesterday I cut the supports in three graduated lengths to give a stepped look; but Fiona and I felt that it detracted from the simplicity of the bench. So today I recut the supports to the width of the seat. I think it is a better look.



A few process photos follow. The timber is very hard and heavy hard wood - first life as fence posts for a horse property - hence the holes etc in the timber. The cut ends of the timber have been sealed with timber wax.




While I had the sander on the go I gave the base for my negative space leaf sculpture a sand and oil - really brought out the grain.


If the bench seat eventually goes into the garden I will need to bolt it together and cement it into the ground. It will be raised about 50mm on a cement base. And Fiona and I will rout the words pause and remember on the front edge of the seat.

4 comments:

  1. It is indeed a good height! And apologies for leading you astray with the stepped notion...(where's an emoji when you need it???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. once again your shift in scale from delicately detailed bone earrings to a bench constructed with substantial timbers is quite amazing ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely purpose for your bench. By both your words and deeds, you make this world a more beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed - it is good to connect with fellow travellers.